Kristina’s Rose is one of our newest fabric designs and stencil patterns, seen in Alabama Studio Sewing + Design. The undulating circular pattern is reminiscent of the Circle Spiral Applique from page 156 of Alabama Studio Style, but translated using more elegant techniques.
Highlighted in Chapter 8 of Alabama Studio Sewing + Design.: Fabric + Fabric Maps, the Kristina’s Rose fabric (page 126) uses the folded stripe appliqué technique from page 108 of Chapter 7 in combination with the stripe with beaded chain stitch on page 105, and the beaded rosebud stitch from page 79 of Chapter 5 – all worked in loose, undulating circles.
The pattern is available as downloadable stencil artwork which you can use in combination with our Pennant Felt to create your own design or you can order a ready-to-use stencil from our online store. The laser cut stencil is made in 10 mil Mylar and measures 42″ x 33″ with the image size 36″ x 29″. These are the same stencils that we use in our studio every day and are extremely durable and long lasting when cared for properly. After using a Mylar stencil, be sure to let your stencil dry thoroughly before storing flat.
Below are instructions for making the Short Beaded Kristina’s Rose Skirt shown in the picture above. This piece is an heirloom garment that will be a favorite for years to come. Check back in the coming months for other ways to use our Kristina’s Rose stencil and share your design experiments for this new stencil in the comments section.
SHORT BEADED KRISTINA’S ROSE SKIRT
Short Skirt Pattern from Alabama Studio Sewing + Design.
2 yards of 60”-wide 100% organic medium-weight cotton jersey for garment
Scraps of 60”-wide 100% organic medium-weight cotton jersey in three different colors for appliqué stripes
Kristina’s Rose Stencil
2 spool Coats & Clark Button Craft thread
All-purpose thread for basting waistline
Fold-Over Elastic Ribbon
Basic sewing supplies: scissors, pins, needles, ruler, rotary cutter and stencil transfer tools
Alabama Studio Sewing + Design contains all of the basic sewing and embroidery techniques we used to make our skirt.
Follow detailed instructions beginning on page 60 of Alabama Studio Sewing + Design. to prepare and cut out your pattern, top- and backing-layer pattern pieces. Baste your waistline using an all-purpose thread.
*Note: When adding beading and beaded applique to a garment, avoid working beads into the 1/4″ seam allowance. This makes for an easier garment construction and keeps your seams from having the added bulk of the beads.
Add the Beaded Kristina’s Rose embroidery:
1. Stencil fabric using Kristina’s Rose stencil. Stencil artwork is available from page 125 of Alabama Studio Sewing + Design or as a downloadable artwork from our resources section.
2. Cut 1⁄2″ strips of fabric in two colors using instructions for folded stripe appliqué on page 108 of Alabama Studio Sewing + Design.
3. Cut 1⁄2″ strips of fabric using instructions for stripe with beaded chain stitch on page 105 of Alabama Studio Sewing + Design.
4. Pin your pattern’s top- and backing-layers together securely.
5. Choose one rose shape and stitch folded-stripe appliqué into place using beaded straight stitch.
6. Choose another rose and appliqué stripe with beaded chain stitch.
7. Choose another rose shape and sew a beaded rosebud stitch to cover the stenciled shape.
8. Continue alternating techniques until you have completed all your rose shapes.
After completing all of your appliqué and beading, construct your skirt and wear proudly.
Fabric – 100% organic medium-weight cotton jersey
Top layer fabric color – Black
Backing layer fabric color – Black
Appliqué fabric color #1– Black
Appliqué fabric color #2 – Charcoal
Appliqué fabric color #3 – Deep
Button Craft thread– Black #2
Knots – Inside
Fold-Over Elastic Ribbon – Black
Binding Stitch – Zigzag