April 11th not only kicked off the third annual Gathering at The Factory, but it also brought the second Supper Club dinner of 2019. The fare was rooted in Italy and meticulously prepared by our Factory Café using ingredients from local farms and purveyors.
The evening started with pizzetta bianca, cannellini and anchovy crostini, and polenta with blistered cherry tomatoes.
The first course brought stuffed artichoke and spring greens in brodo, served with a side of house-made ciabatta bread.
The second, insalata, course offered chicories, shaved fennel, citrus, and tea smoked Belle Chevre goat cheese.
The third and main course consisted of Sicilian lamb meatballs, porcini risotto, grilled rainbow carrots, and spring onions.
Dinner ended on a sweet note with chocolate budino topped with salted sweet cream.
So that you can enjoy some of this Italian goodness at home, our in-house chef Melissa shares the recipe for chocolate budino topped with salted sweet cream below.
8 ounces of good quality (60-80%) chocolate, chopped
1 ounce of milk chocolate, chopped
2 cups heavy cream
6 large egg yolks
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
pinch of fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Cream:
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
- Heat the chocolates together in a double boiler until just melted.
- Warm the cream in a heavy saucepan over low heat (do not boil).
- In a small boil whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar.
- Temper the egg yolks into the cream by slowly whisking a small amount of warm cream at a time into the egg yolks/sugar. Once the cream and yolks are combined, add them back the saucepan and return to medium-low heat stirring with a rubber spatula until the custard thickens and coats the back.
- Strain the custard through a sieve and add the butter until its melted.
- Whisk the melted chocolate into the custard until fully incorporated a little at a time. Add the salt and vanilla.
- Divide the pudding into serving dishes, cover, and let chill for an hour.
- For the whipped cream, in the bowl of a stand mixer (or with a lot of elbow grease), whip the heavy cream with the cinnamon and vanilla until it’s thickened.
To serve, top the Budino with cream and add a few flakes of Maldon Sea Salt.
The Supper Club Dinners are always a special time here at The Factory, and we would like to thank The Factory Café team and our guests for making this night of fellowship and good food possible. We look forward to seeing you around the table again soon.